Friday, September 5, 2008

First Day of School





I seriously cannot believe that school has started. The summer was such a blur. Life just speeds up every passing year as the kids get older. Cai was very excited for 1st Grade. We went to back to school night and got to meet his teacher. She is sooo friendly and welcoming. It turns out she is one of Chris' clients. One that he always talks about. She has two Beagles, so whenever the topic of getting a dog comes up he has to comment about her GREAT dogs. The first day of School Cai had to wear his "My Band Rocks" T-shirt. Unlike Cole, Cai doesn't usually care about what he wears, with the exception of two shirts his "Caution Extremely Awesome" shirt and the band one. He was so excited to get a new backpack and shoes. He had to show everyone who came over his new Z straps for about a week. We were worried about his endurance for first grade (he was complaining that kindergarten was too long) but he has not complained once. I think the recess and lunch helps. On Thursday Cate and Cole and I went and had lunch with him at school. He was just beaming with pride that we were there. He was so sweet about it. He introduced me to all of his friends, showed Cole how to dump his tray, and had to give each of us a big hug before he went out for recess. He can be so sweet and loving sometimes.



Cole had a great time at Parent night for Billye Sue's preschool. He was very confident about everything. He too got to pick out a new backpack, which was way harder than picking one for Cai. Cole has major opinions on what he wants and doesn't want. I had a hard time talking him out of Speed racer, Lightning McQueen and Spiderman, but he finally went for a cute canvas camo one. He already has a character backpack he takes to Grandma's houses for sleepovers, but I was hoping we could find one without the cartoony look. I know I'm being superficial, sorry I really do try to let them go with their own look, and it is almost painful sometimes. I don't want to destroy their confidence and make them feel like they have to look like kids in Gap ads or something in preschool, but they just look so darn cute in those ads I can't help providing a little redirection towards good fashion when I can. Yeah that is superficial. Okay back to Coley. He made a major accomplishment the week before preschool when he began riding his bike with no training wheels. That boy is destined for a life on wheels, and it totally freaks me out. Nothing is more terrifying to me than off roading, motorcyles, and risky driving, and I can just see where his interests are forming in that direction. He is definitely going to double my gray hair. Cai just barely started riding his bike without training wheels the beginning of the summer. As with everything else Cole does it is way above his age. The first day of school Cole picked out his Hulk smash T-shirt and I bit my tongue even though I had just bought him some darling new clothes in Park City. Cole rode all the way to and from preschool his first day and was so excited to have made cookies for the whole family which he brought home in his backpack. He had each cookie assigned to a specific person and set them on the counter until Cai and Daddy got home. After Cai returned from school he saw them and polished them all off. Cole didn't realize until later and I just had to lie and tell him that Daddy had his too. It just would have broken his heart not to. Cole got a little mouse at parent night that he got to bring home and give it a name to take back to preschool. Then Billye Sue takes the kids pictures with their mouse and puts them all together in a book. He named his Softie. I'm not at all surprised Cole LOVES soft things. Billye Sue does several of these personalized books throughout the year and they are such fun keepsakes. Overall it was a great start to the new school year for all.

3 comments:

Candice Eborn said...

What sweethearts! I love hearing how their personalities are just blossoming more everyday as they become their own little people. I laughed so hard at their funny sayings in you sidebar. My kids and I love to talk about funny memories so I told them about Cate and the "We will rock you" chant, they laughed and laughed. Apparently Sophie was listening too because now she has started saying it. At first I thought she said a bad word until I listened closer - haha. Give them hugs from us!

Taylor Family said...

Oh I love the stories about your little boys. They are so precious and I love them a ton. ~Kerrie

Kate said...

Courtney,
So good to get updated on your family! Looks like you are a world traveler (soooo jealous!) Your kids are so cute. Love your little girls name! Haha! I ran into your mom and Kerrie at the church on Labor Day weekend and got caught up a little. I am hoping we can get to know each other again! My blog address is dkdesmondfamily.blogspot.com. It would be fun to get together sometime when I make my way over to Logan (we are building a house just over the mountain in Bear River City). Talk to you later!
Kate (formerly Stevenson)