Monday, April 21, 2008

Pajama Party Ghost Stories

Well the boys needed some excitement tonight because it is the first day of national "No TV Week." Cole had the idea of having a pajama night, and since we couldn't watch a movie, I promised them we could tell ghost stories if they were good during our family night lesson. Cai of course really bought into the idea and told a fabulous ghost story with drama, sound effects and the works. He even came up with the idea of a flashlight in the dark. We have never done it before I don't know where he saw that. He also had a great grasp of how to tell a ghost story. Thanks to TV no doubt. I think this experience will be good for us, I have been telling Chris we need a TV detox again. When we first moved to Smithfield we really didn't want to get cable because our lives always revolved around TV and you could not get one channel up here without a major eyesore of an antenna, so we went without for about 2 years. It was really easy after the first week, we really loved it. It was amazing how much time you have to talk and be more tuned in as a family without the distraction. We finally succumbed after I stopped working and Chris was working long hours at an outside office. I just got bored and lonely I guess, so we got dish network. At least the DVR grants us more control over what we watch and when, but it is really taking over again. So we'll see how this week goes. Chris is watching "Napoleon Dynamite" as I am blogging, so the kids and I are probably on our own for this one!

6 comments:

Hayley said...

Wow, you are a brave mom. I have told Travis that this week I am going to work on letting the kids watch less tv....but no tv? You are crazy! Let me know how it goes!

Loved the scary story night!

Candice Eborn said...

Wow, we really need to have a campout. Can you imagine the kind of fun we could have! Cai is such a cutie, tell him we LOVED his story. Kuddos on the no TV. I find that my stress level goes WAY down when the TV is off. BTW, I didn't know that Kerrie was coming to my house this weekend, I think you may have spilled the beans, ha ha. Hope to see you guys soon.

Hanne and Fam said...

Love the idea of no tv for a week but I don't think Dirk could survive it. Maybe I should try it with the kids.

Taylor Family said...

Love the no TV idea. Unfortunately Toby and Gavin would never go for it. I could easily go without. Tell Cai we loved his ghost story and we can't wait to have a sleepover with you guys. P.S. You're in trouble! You did spill the beans. However, mom should have told you not to tell. I bet Candice got a good laugh!!!

Janalee Hubbard said...

I feel the same way about the TV, and I am SERIOUSLY considering cancelling the cable (just as soon as American Idol and Survivor are done, ha, ha!) Sadly, those shows are the main source of our social lives- a reason to get together w/friends. But I am soooooo tired of my kids quoting all the shows on Nick Jr. Oprah challenged viewers to go w/out TV, video games, and computers-(no!) for a week, and my kids want to try it, so we'll get brave and do it.

Guymon Family said...

I knew it was time for a serious break when Cole our little parrot yelled out "It's my money and I want it now!"